Historic Mining Site
Copper mining began in the Copper Basin area as early as 1843. By 1899, the Tennessee Copper Company was formed and purchased the mining rights to the area. They continued work in the area for nearly a century, with the final mine shutting down in 1987.
In 2010, Copperhill Industries, LLC began selling the Granulated Slag. This iron rich material is a legacy by-product of mineral ore mined and smelted by Tennessee Chemical Company. Copperhill Industries excavates this product from waste deposits. The slag is screened and ready for loading and transport for cement manufacturing in Georgia and Tennessee facilities. Copperhill Industries has sold on the average 50 thousands tons per year. This recycling of waste for a beneficial re-use transforms this regulated waste to a non-regulated form after incorporation into cement. The cement is used for construction as concrete.